With hospitality sector in India figuring amongst the best performing sectors, a career in hotel management opens up a plethora of opportunities for young generation today. According to industry experts, Indian hospitality sector, which is growing at Cumulative Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 14%, is just behind booming Information Technology (IT) sector. According to Planning Commission data, Hospitality sector is the second largest employer in the country after Information Technology sector, and is capable of offering employment opportunities to a varied range of unskilled workers to professional executives in the country.
No wonder, India’s major luxury hotels like Leela, Oberoi and Taj figure amongst world’s top hospitality groups. Besides this, investments by major foreign players like Starwood, Marriot in collaborations with domestic companies has further added to the career opportunity in hotel management domain in India. The growing volume and business of fast-food chains like Kentucky Fried Chicken, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut and Dominos are increasingly contributing to the organized food business in the country and thus recruiting professional hotel management graduates to run their outlets. Thus, from luxury hotels to fast-food chains; and tourist hot spots to domestic and international airlines, career opportunities in this high-growth hospitality sector are enormous.
The hotel industry is a crucial part of the hospitality industry with a huge growth potential in the near future. The demand for hotel management professionals is already huge and is expected to grow more with the increasing number of hotels being set up in India and all over the world. Apart from its glamour, a career in hotel management has become lucrative and exciting, attracting more and more students to opt for it.
Hotel management jobs include multiple skills like food and beverage service, front office operation, sales and marketing, accounting etc. Many government colleges and private institutes in India offer certificate, diploma or degree courses in hotel management.
Some Institutes/Colleges offering Course
- Institute of Hotel Management
- Oberoi Centre Of Learning And Development
- Manipal University, Welcome Group
- Department of Hotel Management, Christ University
- GGSIP University
- Institute of Hotel Management, Aurangabad (TAJ)
- International Institute of Hotel Management
- Army Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- M. S. Ramaiah University Of Applied Sciences
- School of Hospitality and Tourism Studies, D.Y. Patil University and many more…
Job after Hotel Management
- Restaurant management
- Fast food joint management
- Club management
- Recreation and health centre catering
- Cruise ship hotel management
- Hospital administration and catering
- Institutional and industrial catering
- Airline catering and cabin services
- Manufacturers and suppliers of hotel and restaurant equipment and services
- Hotel and catering institutes
- Hotel and tourism associations
- Catering departments in banks and insurance houses
- With government owned catering departments, e.g., railway, armed forces, ministerial conventions, etc.
- In food, confectionery, beverage production industries
- Hospitality services in the Indian Navy
- Hospitality services in various MNCs
- Forest Lodges
- Guest Houses, resorts
- Kitchen Management (in hotels or running canteens in college, schools, in factories, company guest houses etc.)
- Self-employment (as an entrepreneur)